Monday, 23 April 2012

Back to Business

We are back. The holiday is over, the bags unpacked and we have been back at work for a full week, struggling to catch up on sleep, keep on top of our ridiculous pile of laundry, and re-establish some semblance of the routine that we had just started to master before we left. 

Our 4 weeks in Rarotonga and the United States absolutely flew by. We had an amazing time – and have come home with some awesome memories, a million photos and a few extra belongings. The usual story - spent too much, ate too much (which isn’t difficult in America) – only to return to have reality smack us over the head with its chores and work commitments and crappy weather..the bright spot of course being a catch up with family and friends, both human and animal.

If Mila’s reaction to our return is anything to go by, she had a great little vacation of her own and bonded really well with Mike’s mum, not missing us one bit! When we got home, nice and early on a very dreary Thursday morning, we were welcomed back with little more than a tail wag and a sniff (‘Oh, it’s just you...’ she says).  Not surprising really. From what I hear of Mila’s time out on the Kapiti Coast, there were lots of walks, lots of cuddles and many many opportunities to sniff out wild rabbits (not the lovely domestic ones that live with us...) and to let loose in the backyard. If that doesn’t sound like Greyhound Paradise, I don’t know what does. Apparently, Mila has also shown herself to be a bit of a train lover, making it part of her routine to race outside and listen to the freight trains go past every day.

Of course, Mila’s true loyalties shone through when Mike’s mum had to leave after having picked us up from the airport. As she walked out to her car, Mila raced past us to the window to watch intently as she drove away, lingering for an extra couple of minutes to see if she would be coming back before taking herself, a little sadly, off to bed. It was quite gorgeous really and it took more than a little bribery and a special trip to the park before Mila really perked up again. 

It seems that even Greyhounds get the post-holiday blues...
We’ve spent the rest of our week back trying to remember not to leave edible items out at Mila-height on the bench (failing twice so far, much to someone’s great delight) and doing our best to get back into the swing of 6 am walks (which Daylight Savings hasn’t really been helping us with). You see, there’s no such thing as jetlag to a Greyhound who hasn’t left the comfort of the Wellington region, so it has been a pretty quick turnaround for us there. There is really nothing better than having a personalised wake-up call (the early morning face sniff is particularly effective) to make sure you keep in line with your daily routine!

No comments:

Post a Comment